Travels with S/Y Thetis

Thetis only

2016: Preparation

There were several changes/improvemets this year. These were:

  1. New Items:
    1. Replaced the old GPS/Plotter with a new Raymarine eS75 display E70263 serial #0160021 with a RS130 an external GPS E32153 receiver serial #0330037. These were connected via a SeaTalk - SeaTalk 81300 converter to the existing SeaTalk - NMEA bridge. The scheme works but the GPS position does not seem to reach the Navtex. I also, had brought with me a new C-Map cartridge covering the E Mediterranean that is compatible with the new plotter.
    2. A new MaxSea MC 612 alternator controller/regulator. It seems that I also brought a second MaxSea MC 614 unit.
    3. Replaced the heavily rusted anchor chain with about 70 m galvanized chain.
    4. Replaced the bathroom and kitchen sink drain hoses.
  2. Repairs:
    1. Replaced some parts of the leaking head pump.
    2. Modified the new canvas cover for the dinghy that was fabricated last year.
  3. Yearly Maintenance:
    1. The sails and the tent, were washed.
    2. Engine.
    3. Outboard.
    4. Genset.
    5. Dinghy.
    6. Inspected the rigging.
    7. Checked the autopilots.
    8. In addition, there was the yearly maintenance of the hull and keel: eliminating all scratches, polishing of the hull and stainless rails, and applying of anti-fouling painting.

Tuesday May 31, 2016

I arrived in Leros with the 6:40 flight from Athens having arrived there from Washington, D.C., the evening before. Thetis looked very good, I had missed her.

I put up the tent and organized the inside of the recently cleaned cabins. I made my bed in the right cabin.

I rented a car. For dinner I walked to the nearby Apolafsis taverna.

Wednesday June 1, 2016

In the morning I worked to prepare the boat for tomorrow’s launch.

I then went provision shopping. On the way I filled all 4 jerry cans with Diesel fuel and the two small canisters with gasoline (petrol) for the genset and the outboard. I then drove to Lakki and went to the Limerarchio (Coast Guard) to get the required apoplous (permission to sail) stamp.

After that I went to the fruits store and the supermarket and completed my shopping. Again no problem with cash. Most customers were paying with credit cards.

After returning to the yard I stowed the provisions and took a shower, then I went for lunch to the Archontiko, the little taverna across from the airport.

For dinner I drove to the Mylos reastaurant and had a delicious fish soup and 4 very tasty barbounia (μπαρμούνια - red mullet - Mullus surmuletus).

Very, very tired I went to bed and fell into a deep sleep. It was a long day!