There were several changes/improvemets this year. These were:
- New Items:
- Replaced the old GPS/Plotter with a new Raymarine eS75 display E70263 serial #0160021 with a RS130 an external GPS E32153 receiver serial #0330037. These were connected via a SeaTalk - SeaTalk 81300 converter to the existing SeaTalk - NMEA bridge. The scheme works but the GPS position does not seem to reach the Navtex. I also, had brought with me a new C-Map cartridge covering the E Mediterranean that is compatible with the new plotter.
- A new MaxSea MC 612 alternator controller/regulator. It seems that I also brought a second MaxSea MC 614 unit.
- Replaced the heavily rusted anchor chain with about 70 m galvanized chain.
- Replaced the bathroom and kitchen sink drain hoses.
- Replaced some parts of the leaking head pump.
- Modified the new canvas cover for the dinghy that was fabricated last year.
- Yearly Maintenance:
- The sails and the tent, were washed.
- Inspected the rigging.
- Checked the autopilots.
- In addition, there was the yearly maintenance of the hull and keel: eliminating all scratches, polishing of the hull and stainless rails, and applying of anti-fouling painting.
Tuesday May 31, 2016
I arrived in Leros with the 6:40 flight from Athens having arrived there from Washington, D.C., the evening before. Thetis looked very good, I had missed her.
I put up the tent and organized the inside of the recently cleaned cabins. I made my bed in the right cabin.
I rented a car. For dinner I walked to the nearby Apolafsis taverna.
Wednesday June 1, 2016
In the morning I worked to prepare the boat for tomorrow’s launch.
I then went provision shopping. On the way I filled all 4 jerry cans with Diesel fuel and the two small canisters with gasoline (petrol) for the genset and the outboard. I then drove to Lakki and went to the Limerarchio (Coast Guard) to get the required apoplous (permission to sail) stamp.
After that I went to the fruits store and the supermarket and completed my shopping. Again no problem with cash. Most customers were paying with credit cards.
After returning to the yard I stowed the provisions and took a shower, then I went for lunch to the Archontiko, the little taverna across from the airport.
For dinner I drove to the Mylos reastaurant and had a delicious fish soup and 4 very tasty barbounia (μπαρμούνια - red mullet - Mullus surmuletus).
Very, very tired I went to bed and fell into a deep sleep. It was a long day!