Travels with S/Y Thetis

Thetis only

Thetis 2017: Leros to Samos

This web page contains the logs of a 5 day sailing trip that I took, together with my wife Alice, on S/Y Thetis in the East Aegean. I sailed from Partheni in Leros, where Thetis was launched, to Samos Marina via Archangelos near Leros, Marathi, and Mycale in Samos.

The logs include either some historical and geographical descriptions of the places visited or links to these descriptions. Also included are links to other related web sites.

Route to Samos from Leros
Route to Samos from Leros

Tuesday May 30, 2017, Day 1

The travel-lift came and all went well. By 1000 Thetis was in the water.

Everything worked except for the electric head pump that refused to operate. With some difficulty I removed it, took it to the shop, and installed the hand operated pump. This one did discharge but did not pump-in the sea water for flushing. We had to use the bucket for that.

Next to the launching “pool” was a small motor cruiser belonging to the Kamposos family from Levitha. I met Tasos and he told me that his father Dimitris had a stroke and was in a hospital in Athens.

Thetis spent the day and night in the “pool” waiting while the head pump was in the shop.

We drove to the Mylos restaurant where we had a memorable dinner.

Wednesday May 31, 2017, Day 2

First thing in the morning we moved to the side of the “pool” and waited for the technician to bring the repaired head pump. Soon he brought it and installed it. It it appeared to work well.

As we were in an hurry to get to Samos before the arrival of our daughters and grand children we decided to depart from the yard.

At 1437 we cast off and headed for Archangelos (Αρχάγγελος) [37° 11.9' N 026° 46.3' E] 1.6 M where we arrived at 1510. We anchored in 5 m depth over sand with 25 m of scope.

We lowered the dinghy from its davits and tested the outboard. It worked very well.

For dinner we went ashore to The Stigma taverna. Mrs. Evrope (Ευρώπη) and her and daughter Demetra (Δήμητρα) were very happy to see us again.

Thursday June 1, 2017, Day 3

Some time, fortunately after our morning ablutions, the repaired head pump stopped working.

After I installed the mainsail with all its sheets, downhaul, and reefing lines we raised the anchor and departed, at 1010, heading back to Partheni (Παρθένι) [37° 11.3' N 026° 48' E] to deal with the head pump. We arrived at 1030 and we were directed to enter the “pool”. The reliable Nikolas helped us moor.

I decided to give up on the old head pump and either replace it or even replace the head. Agmar Marine (renamed Moor & Dock) did not have in stock a complete head but they did have a pump. However that pump was not identical to the old one. Its installation was rather tricky because all its 3 hoses (water intake, water to the bowl, and discharge) had to be re-routed. It was well into the evening when the installation was completed.

While the new head pump was being installed Alice helped me to install the headsail. This takes at least 2 people.

After Sotiris, the technician, finished the installation of the new head pump and we tested its function we were ready to depart. With his help we cast off and exited the “pool”. The time was 1950. We motored slowly, towing the dinghy, back to Archangelos [37° 11.9' N 026° 46.3' E]. We anchored in 5.5 m depth with 30 m off chain.

We stayed on board and had a light meal. The new pump worked well.

We received an SMS from our dear friend Turgut Ayker. He, Arzu, and another couple were with his new New Life III in Marathi. We promised to go there and meet them tomorrow morning.

Friday June 2, 2017, Day 4

We raised the anchor at 0830 and headed for Marathi. The wind was only 2-4 knots and it was not possible to sail, so we motored for 12.4 M and we arrived in Marathi (Μαράθι) [37° 22.1' N 026° 43.6' E] at 1050.

We had a nice reunion with the Aykers and their friends whom we had met before when they visited Samos few years ago together with Turgut. My friend Turgut has been aged by the several sessions of chemotherapy. He told me that he does not expect to be with us for very long. This is very, very sad and I will miss my good friend and cruising companion.

Turgut Ayker
Turgut & Friend on New Life III

New Life left in the afternoon. After this, only another S/Y the Epikourios with German flag and Thetis remained.

We went ashore and met Katina and Pantelis. He also had a stroke several months ago but he was recovering. He takes it easy and moved slowly and carefully while he was mending. Their teen-aged grandson, also Pandelis, was helping.

Alice and I took a good hike and then had a nice dinner with barbounia (μπαρμπούνια - red mullets - Mullus surmuletus).

Saturday June 3, 2017, Day 5

We left Marathi at 0745. There was no wind, just a 1-4 knot SSE breeze. We motored to Mycale (Μυκάλη) [37° 42.1' N 026° 58.8' E] in Samos after 26.4 M arriving at 1200. We anchored in 4 m depth.

While we were underway we had already put up the tent. Here we swam, had lunch, and in the afternoon prepared the boat for her stay in the marina. We covered the dinghy and then raised it, etc.

At 1810 we raised the anchor and motored the 1.5 M to Samos Marina [37° 41.45' N 026° 57.49' E] entering at 1815 and docking without a problem in slip C03.

Our Kalami caretaker Yiorgos had come with his truck and we loaded our luggage. In the mean time, Aramis delivered to us a rented car. After locking the boat we all drove to our house in Kalami.