This is a very personal log of a seven week sailing trip, with my boat, Thetis, in the Mediterranean. This trip was undertaken as a test of my boat and myself in preparation for more ambitious voyages, possibly ocean crossings, and maybe, maybe even a circumnavigation. The trip consisted of 7 legs:
- The first was from Glyfada, a suburb of Athens, Greece around the Peloponnesos to Pylos.
- The second was over open water from Pylos to Malta.
- The third, after several days of sightseeing, was from Malta to Cagliari in Sardinia, Italy.
- The fourth, again after several days of sightseeing and waiting for a weather window, was a singlehanded leg from Cagliari, Sardinia to Regio Calabria in Italy via the the Aeolian island of Ustica.
- The fifth was singlehanded over open water from Regio Calabria to the Greek the Ionian island of Cephalonia.
- The sixth was also singlehanded from Cephalonia to the Corinth via the island of Trizonia.
- The seventh and final was a transit of the Corinth Canal and then back to our home port in Glyfada.
In legs 1-3 I was accompanied by my dear friend and college room-mate Lewis Unger, who is no longer with us. Every time I sail, I often think of Lewis and I feel his absence very deeply. I dedicate this web site to him.
In leg 7 I was accompanied by my brother Nikos Riginos.