On December 30, 1919 my beloved wife Alice with whom I had lived for over 56 years passed away.
2020 was a short cruising year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
This is a very personal account of the sailing trips from mid July to October 2020 with S/Y Thetis, in the Aegean. There were 5 separate trips:
- Leros to Samos
- From Samos to nearby islands and back
- From Samos to Paros
- From Paros to Samos
- Samos to Leros
The highlights of these trips are:
- Thetis is launched.
- Problem with the headsail and the engine did not charge the batteries.
- The outboard does not work..
- Retured to the yard and fixed outboard..
- There was a window leak.
- I had a bad fall that almost prevented me from cruising.
- Returned to the yard in Partheni for more repairs.
- I got a nasty bite under my eye.
- Due to lack of attention on my part Thetis craches on an islet.
- Mara Anastopoulou, her daughter Dheira, and a friend come to Thetis for a day excursion.
- A very tense encounter with the Greek Coast Guard and Frontex.
- Nikos and I try his new sailing dinghy Nimenia. The RPM meter is acting up.
- Thetis losses voltage to all the instruments and to the autopilot.
- The AC to DC charger is burned.
- Thetis is hauled out for the winter.